Oscar Brockett, Franklin Hildy: History of the theatre (New international editon)
History of the theatre (New international editon)
Known as the "bible" of theatre history,Brockett and Hildy's History of the Theatre is the most comprehensive and widely used survey of theatre history in the market.
This 40th Anniversary Edition retains all of the traditional features that have made History of the Theatre the most successful text of its kind including worldwide coverage, more than 530 photos and illustrations, useful maps, and the expertise of Oscar G. Brockett and Franklin J. Hildy, two of the most widely respected theatre historians in the field. This tenth edition provides the most thorough and accurate assessment of theatre history available and includes contemporary milestones in theatre history.
- Provides a chronological survey of the theatre's history as a socio-cultural institution from pre-history to the present.
- Features the most comprehensive coverage of European, American, Asian, and African theatre history found in any competing textbook.
- Employs an extensive photo and illustration program.
- Includes chapter-ending "Looking at Theatre History" sections, which offer extra insight into the chapter's primary topic or the culture of the particular period.
- Offers chapter-by-chapter bibliographies at the end of the book to serve as both an acknowledgment of principal sources of information and as a guide to reading in greater depth.