Jeb Patton: An Approach to Comping - The Essentials (Instrumental solo)
An Approach to Comping - The Essentials (Instrumental solo)
A step-by-step guide to basic comping rhythms, voicings, and progressions as played by the masters, that focuses on how to play (or "comp") behind a jazz soloist.
Topics covered include:
- Basic rhythms and voicings for comping
- 11 note-for-note transcriptions of Bud Powell, Horace Silver, Tadd Dameron, and Barry Harris comping behind the soloist
- 3 modified transcriptions in the style of Red Garland, Sonny Clark, and Bobby Timmons comping behind the soloist
- Comping guides, rhythms, and progressions derived from the transcriptions
- Over 80 comping exercises aimed at getting the concepts under your fingers
- Interviews about the art of comping by Harold Mabern and Renee Rosnes.
272 pages, plus 2 CDs containing demonstrations and play-along tracks.(ISBN 9781883217785)