Dan Greenblatt: The blues scales - Guitar Version
The blues scales - Guitar Version
An excellent book, useful to beginners as well as advanced players." - Michael Brecker, saxophonist
Dan has done a marvelous job of dissecting the blues and then bringing all the pieces back together so you can make beautiful music." - Jamey Aebersold, jazz educator
A good method for teaching blues and jazz improvising to beginning students has been much needed. Finally that need has been filled." - Junior Mance, pianist with Dizzy Gillespie
Finally a conscientious educator has created a method which focuses on blues scales. Don't miss this book!" - Reggie Workman, bassist with John Coltrane
THIS GROUND-BREAKING BOOK/CD package will show you (or your students) how to use the Major and Minor Blues Scales to improvise meaningful solosВ—without having to first master all the scales and chords of a tune.
GOOD FOR ALL LEVELS - Essential for beginners, perfect for intermediate students, and even useful for professional players to hone their skills on this crucialВ—and often neglectedВ—part of the jazz language.
ACCOMPANYING CD by author Dan Greenblatt and his quartet of swinging, New York jazz musicians shows how each exercise should sound. And it also gives the student numerous play-along tracks to practice with.
GREAT TRANSCRIPTIONS from Miles, Dizzy Gillespie, Lester Young, Oscar Peterson, Dave Sanborn, Michael Brecker and many more, showing how the Blues Scales are actually used in various styles of jazz.
THE ONLY COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON THE BLUES SCALES EVER PUBLISHED!
- step-by-step exercises to get beginning students able to quickly solo using the two basic Blues Scales
- extensive dictionary of classic Major and Minor Blues Scale phrases
- help with transposing the ideas learned into other keys
- numerous ways to expand the Blues Scales to make them even more useful
- appendices for advanced players showing how the masters of jazz use the Blues Scales in their own playing.
88 page text, plus CD.