David Maslanka: Recitation Book
David Maslanka (1943 - … )
A recitation book is a collection of writings, often of a sacred nature, used for readings by a community. The music of this piece draws on old sources for each movement - Bach Chorales, a Gesualdo madrigal, Gregorian Chant. A number of old variation techniques are employed throughout the piece. Recitation Book was composed for, premiered, and first recorded by, the Masato Kumoi Saxophone Quartet of Tokyo.
- Broken Heart: Meditation on the chorale melody Der du bist drei in einigkeit (You who are three in one) (4'30")
- Prelude/Chorale: Meditation on the chorale melody Jesu meine Freude (Jesus my joy) (4'30)
- Ecco, morirò dunque (Look! My Death is Near!) - Carlo Gesualdo (1596) (1'30")
- Meditation on the Gregorian Chant O Salutaris Hostia (O Salvation's Victim) (4')
- Fanfare/Variations on the chorale melody Durch Adams Fall (Through Adam's fall) (10')