Michael Nyman: Songs & Arias (High voice)
Songs & Arias (High voice)
Michael Nyman (1944 - … )
Chant et piano
Sixteen songs and seven arias for high voice and Piano, composed over a fifteen-year period from 1989 to 2004, with texts in English, French, German and translations from German, Portuguese and Russian.
Texts from the Bible, Shakespeare, Mozart, Rimbaud, Fernando Pessoa and Paul Celan and by living writers Roger Pulvers, Kevin Power, Victoria Hardie and Michael Hastings.
While the original text-free version of Life's Chaos appeared as part of the musical accompaniment to Dziga Vertov's Man With A Movie Camera, there are songs from three of his film scores: The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, Prospero's Books and The Diary Of Anne Frank, and from four song cycles: L'Orgie Parisienne, Six Celan Songs, Cycle of Disquietude and Acts Of Beauty.
There are arias from two stage operas, Facing Goya and Man and Boy: Dada and a TV opera, Letters, Riddles and Writs.
- Allez! On Previendra Les Reflux D'Incendie (L'Orgie Parisienne)
- As Noses Move (Facing Goya)
- Before You Can Say, 'Come' And 'Go' (Ariel Songs From Prospero's Books)
- Come Unto These Yellow Sands (Ariel Songs From Prospero's Books)
- Es War Erde In Ihnen (Six Celan Songs)
- Full Fathom Five (Ariel Songs From Prospero's Books)
- He Sang In A Gentle Voice (Cycle Of Disquietude)
- I Am An Unusual Thing (Letters, Riddles And Writs)
- If (The Diary Of Anne Frank)
- I'm Riding On A Tram (Cycle Of Disquietude)
- Life's Chaos (Acts Of Beauty)
- Miserere (The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover)
- Mozart On Mortality
- Nachtlich Geschurzt (Six Celan Songs)
- Quand Tes Pieds Ont Danse (L'Orgie Parisienne)
- Silence Emerges (Cycle Of Disquietude)
- Things The Artist Must Not Do Today (Man And Boy: Dada)
- This Is What I Found Today (Man And Boy: Dada)
- Tortured Prisoner (Facing Goya)
- Where The Bee Sucks (Ariel Songs From Prospero's Books)
- While You Here Do Snoring Lie (Ariel Songs From Prospero's Books)
- Why (The Diary Of Anne Frank)
- You Are My Son (Facing Goya)